Saturday, May 22, 2010

A DAY AT THE MARKET

As you have probably already figured out by now, I am a romantic at heart and I find the most enjoyment out of the little things, such as the local Saturday market in my small town.  It brings me to a place of utter contentment and a feeling of community, something that is often lost in this era of the Big Box Stores.

I love the ability to wander aimlessly from stall to stall and unlike the Big Box Stores, I don't feel the need to beeline into the store, grab my items, fight my way thru the aisles and get out quick.

The market is just a moment of simplicity.  Of course, there are some people that are on a mission whether it be fresh bread or fresh produce or plants for their garden beds, but the majority of the people wandering around have that same unabashed expression of dreamy happiness that is so completely plastered upon my face.

It would be no surprise to find out that I utterly enjoy carrying around my basket which is filled to the brim with homemade bread, fresh produce and fleurs.  If not for a moment, I have this sense of living abroad in a small quaint European town where what I get to experience on a Saturday is nothing more than an every day event for them.

I can almost imagine myself in a flowing spring dress with casual sandals and my long hair fluttering upon the breeze.  In reality, I am sporting my usual black pants, a hoody and comfortable pair of shoes.  The only thing that belies my appearance in my handwoven basket.  And although, it is only a small accessory to what I wish I was really wearing, it does provide me that small pleasure of romanticism.

You may smirk at my dreaminess but without the dreamers, this world would be cold and practical and grey and concrete and you would miss the beauty of the smallest of things, such as the simply lovely bouquet of lilacs which are now proudly sitting upon my bistro table with this wonderful wafting scent that forces me to take large deep breaths in effort to not miss the beauty of their lushes smell.

These moments are a true blessing for me and provide me with a much needed respite from the stresses of my job.  I would certainly recommend to anyone feeling the need to reconnect to the slower pace of life to take the opportunity to wander the smaller stores and markets available within your own community.  You would be amazed at the beauty you would find right outside of your front door.

As for me, I am about to prepare a feast for my better half, consisting of a flower salad, a toasted baguette of fresh basil, tomatoes and raclette cheese along with a roasted red pepper quiche followed by a sour cherry tart.  All of which comes from my purchases at the market.  Bon Appetite my friends.  May this Saturday bring you much pleasure.

Until Next Time.
Smooches Pooches






1 comment:

I love hearing from ya! Thanks for stopping by!