Sunday, May 9, 2010

WHAT MAKES A MOTHER?

I am probably one of the most fortunate individuals you will ever meet.  My mother has been my best friend since I was the ripe old age of 4.  I even remember the moment that I knew she was my best friend.  It was a beautiful sunshiny day and the doors and windows were wide open at our house.  My mom was the ripe old age of 29 and she was singing her heart out, like she always did and still does.  She was dusting the house and singing Que Sera Sera in that clear, lyrical voice of hers.  If she wasn't Canadian, I would swear she was Irish because when she sings, her voice always has this beautiful harp like lilt to it.  I remember her bending down and singing the song right to my face, and I dutifully followed her from room to room singing along with her, albeit, sadly out of tune but nonetheless trying as hard as I could to sound as beautiful as her.  She kept looking down and smiling at me and encouraging me to sing with that gawd awful singing voice I was cursed with.  I knew then that only a best friend would tolerate something so horrible!

Thirty-seven years have passed and nothing has changed.  I still sound like a choked crow when I sing and she still tolerates it.  She was my best friend as a child, my best friend as a teenager, my best friend as a young woman and my best friend today.  I have shared every secret with her.  Good, bad, shocking or ugly, she has heard it all and not once served up any form of judgment on me.  I have never felt the need to hold back from her nor have I wanted too.  She listens when I need her to, she offers up advice when I ask her to and she tells me under no certain terms when I am being a complete fool.

We are the goofiest of friends and the best moments of my life, which always included lots and lots of laughter, have always been with her.  Whether we are shopping our faces off, going for long walks, taking photographs of nature together, going to movies, trying out the next crafting fad or just sitting outside in the sunshine, each moment has been memorable and for lack of a better expression:  hanging with her is just plain fun!

Don't get me wrong, my mother is not up on a pedestal.  I know her faults and she knows mine.  But the fact remains that there is a complete ease in our relationship, whether good or bad.  She doesn't feel 24 years older than me, nor do I feel 24 years younger than her, there is real friendship connection, something that neither one of us have ever taken for granted.

Today, she flew out for New York and I already feel this odd sense of loss simply because I won't be able to share every hair brain idea that pops in my head for the duration of her holiday.   I could share it with my better half, but he just rolls his eyes and gives me that odd smile that says he thinks I am nuts.  I have this feeling that it is going to be a long ten days for me without her and it makes me think of friends of mine whom have long since lost their mothers and my heart goes out to each and everyone of them.

I love my mom and everybody should be as lucky as I am.  I hope that whether you are a grandmother, mother, sister, daughter, aunt or niece that you find some solace in that special female connection.  I know that I found it with my mom, and no matter what happens to me, in that part of my life, I am and have always been blessed. 

Happy Mother's Day Sunday to all of you.

Until Next Time.
Smooches Pooches.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from ya! Thanks for stopping by!