Today my lovely country turns 144 years young! And think, I have have been in it for 43 of those 144 years! Yikes!
I know we get pegged for saying "eh" which of course I do, but hey, we make good beer, great hockey, awesome actors, amazing singers and we are the inventor of many fabulous things in your household. So in honour of Canada Day, I have compiled a list of my top 18 favourite Canadian inventions. Now now, don't roll your eyes, I know that you are curious about what these wonderful Canucks create in their spare time, so without further ado, and in no particular order, here they are:
- Basketball (oh yes we did, and here you thought that was American!)
- The first cardiac intensive care unit along with the first heart valve (won't you be thanking us after sucking back pounds of that good ole Canadian Bacon!)
- The electric wheelchair for those moments when a scooter is not enough!
- Garbage bags (and thank gawd, or you still be stuffing those dinner leftovers in your yard somewhere.. Yikes)
- Gingerale... Oh c'mon, you know you love it when you are sick!
- IMAX... yup give us a big building with a high ceiling and we will stick a 50 foot screen in there just for your viewing pleasure!
- Insulin... Yup, we are all about saving lives!
- Pictionary... oh giggle all you want, but you know that at some point in your adult life you had a pictionary party!
- Rollerskates, what would the boardwalks and beaches of California have done, if we did not come up with a way for gorgeous girls to skate on by in their bikinis! Yes I will take that thank you from you boys out there!
- The lightbulb... Yessiree bob, we brought you light, no more striking of the flint! In fact, it's a well known fact that we Canadians light up your life!
- The measure of footwear... That's right, if it wasn't for us, you would be trying on every shoe in the store until one fit! Or when the salesperson asked you what your foot size was, you be standing there scratching your head going "uuuummmm, I think they are big?"
- Walkie Talkies... It's okay, you know you had them when you were kids, and you can admit you had a blast playing with them, seriously, I won't hold it against you!
- The snowblower, snowmobile and the snowplow... I bet those people in Minnesota were really blessing us this last winter!
- The Stanley Cup - need I say more?
- The Stove - yup your days of cooking on a fire pit came to an end all because of some ingenious Canadian
- The Washing Machine - It's okay, you can admit you love me even more now, don't ya!
- The Zipper - now boys aren't you happy you have flies in your jeans, makes everything for you so much easier.
- And my most favourite item - THE RETRACTABLE BEER CARTON HANDLE. Yup, every time you go and buy a case of good old Canadian Beer, you can thank us with that little slot you can put your hand into to carry the beer!
As for Pam Anderson, Celine Dion and Justin Bieber... well I apologize, well kind of, they live in the States anyway, so unfortunately for them, that's their problem now! Tee Hee
As for the rest of Canada, well all I have to say is this:
OH CANADA... YOU ROCK MY WORLD!
Until Next Time.